Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mom's Birth Stories: Seventh of Eleven

The following is my Mom's seventh birth story (it's me!). For a little background, check out my first post about this series, Mom's Birth Stories, her First Birth Story, Second Birth Story, Third Birth Story, Fourth Birth Story, Fifth Birth Story and Sixth Birth Story.




Her story is broken into 4 sections: Pregnancy, Labour and Delivery, Breastfeeding and Reflections. I have also provided some of my comments and reflections at the end.

Pregnancy
My husband and I didn’t have a set number picked out for the size of our family. I often thought early on that if I could put in an order for them I would have asked for two of each sex, however life doesn’t work that way.

Up to now I’d been praying for another girl once I’d become pregnant so this time I decided to ask and pray before the fact. Over the years I’ve found that it’s when I surrender to God’s will that he has blessed me with more than I deserve so I was prepared to stop at 6 children with only one daughter if that was what He wanted, however I was still hopeful.

Some comments I received prior to the birth were negative and skeptical. They said that even if I had a girl that the difference in age  (nine years) would mean that these sisters would never be close. I retorted that my mother-in-law’s younger sister was nine years younger than her and they had a great relationship; also my older brother’s wife is nine years younger than him and that they hope to spend the rest of their lives together.

I learned that my previous doctor was doing abortions which I did not agree with so I switched to another obstetrician. He looked at family history and because my mother had triplets (still born) he scheduled an ultrasound. This was my first ultrasound but back then the technicians did not reveal the sex and I was afraid to ask for fear of being turned down anyway. I learned only that there was one baby. He asked if I smoked because the baby was small. I’ve never smoked. The doctor said I was due on August 28 which is our wedding anniversary.


Labour and Delivery
She was born just after midnight(12:08 am) on that date. As she was born I was happy to hear that she was a girl and then I asked what time it was to see if she had indeed arrived on our anniversary. Hallelujah! My husband was with me and fed me some ice chips to keep my mouth from becoming too dry during the labour (all that breathing).

The labour length was 5 ½ hours. There was a woman resident doctor who delivered #7. My doctor didn’t arrive in time. She said it was better to message the area below (perineal massage) and let it stretch and tear rather than cut so I didn’t have an episiotomy for the first time. She did however break the membranes which didn’t seem to want to rupture on their own. I ended up with a few stitches which healed quickly. Her weight was 8 lbs ½ oz.

Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding the same day with no problems. I breastfed her for 13 and ½ months.

Mom's Reflections
Best part of this pregnancy was having an understanding woman doctor for the delivery and welcoming our second daughter on our 12th anniversary.

The worst part was developing minor varicose veins on my left leg (during pregnancy) and the painful delivery (it never really got easier).

This experience taught me to be thankful and glad I persevered.

My Reflections
This was an exciting birth story to write out because it is my birth story. It's interesting to read my Mom's views about her family size as it continues to grow and how her committment to her Roman Catholic beliefs shine through. 

I like to tease that I am lucky #7 because I was the girl my parents were hoping for AND I was born on their wedding anniversary. But you can't pick favourites right? Right?

I mentioned some of the details of this birth story to a friend and she asked if I thought some of the details were ironic. Afterall, I have taken quite a liken to natural birth and this happens to be the first birth my Mom has a understanding woman doctor who also puts a stop to the unnessary episiotomies.  I think that is kind of cool.

Oh and 7th baby and labour still isn't easy? That puts all those silly comments people have to rest that think after a few births the baby practically slips right out.

Keeping tabs:
Baby #1 - Boy - October 5, 1972
Baby #2 - Girl - February 24, 1974
Baby #3 - Boy - June 10, 1975
Baby #4 - Boy - November 23, 1977
Baby #5 - Boy - July 4, 1979
Baby #6 - Boy - December 22, 1980
Baby #7 - Girl - August 28, 1983

3 comments:

  1. I love that your Mom shared all of her birth stories with you and it's so speical that you closed a wonderful chapter in your parents life it gave me shivers. Sounds like a very blessed family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...how did your sister take the news? Was she super happy to have a baby sister?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn, you have the best questions!
    Here's my Mom's response about big sister:

    "She was very quiet at the hospital so I wasn't sure what she was thinking. When we came home I just wanted some time with the kids and their new baby sister but my mother-in-aw came in and wanted to hold the baby. Later when I changed the baby I showed big sister that she was indeed a girl. No big reaction. Years later she confessed that she was used to being the only girl and had got used to getting special attention and she wasn't sure she was going to like sharing that. Once baby started to react (crawl) big sister was happy to see that little sister would come to her like a second Mom."

    And I would like to add that I think the 9 year gap was not an issue between us sisters. Although, we weren't super close, we had a great relationship and I really looked up to her. Now as adults we still really enjoy eachothers company :)

    ReplyDelete