Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Books E recommends this month

Whenever we make a trip to the library I can't help but come home with a very heavy bag of children's books.  I've been doing this since E was a baby and my love of reading has definitely rubbed off on him.  Sometimes I go to the library with a plan; looking for certain books that he may be interested in at that time, or sometimes I find a book from my childhood that I must read to him and other times I just sift through the shelves looking for ones that catch my eye.  In the stack of 15 books that we have borrowed for the last 3 weeks, it's funny to see the ones that keep coming back up to the couch in the evening or gliding chair at night and the ones that stay on the bookshelf, pages barely turned at all.  Sometimes I can predict this, but more than usual E surprises me by becoming attached to certain books.  This time I thought I'd grab a couple extra hockey books since E is so very obsessed with hockey lately. Shockingly, he hasn't had much interest in these ones at all.  I thought it would be a fun monthly post to go through the books that E has enjoyed and would recommend to children his age. 

Here are E's current favourites and why we both love them so much.

If You Give A Pig A Party
If You Give A Pig A Party by Laura Numeroff (via Amazon.ca)

If You Give A Pig A Party
We can't get enough of these books. We've read quite a few of Laura Numeroff's books and E has especially taken a liking to this one.  I find him calling out what the next page will say in much excitement and pointing out all the little details on the pages.  He is very interested in birthday parties lately, especially since we talk about the baby coming after his third birthday which usually always brings us into a discussion about his party. The fact that pig and her friends make a tent is beyond exciting for him to read too - tents are big around here lately.
 
The Bare Naked Book
The Bare Naked Book by Kathy Stinson (via Amazon.ca)

The Bare Naked Book
This was a great find. E for some reason calls himself "stinky" when he runs around naked. "Look Mommy and Daddy, I'm stinky!". It's hilarious, but not as hilarious as some of the mispronunciations he has for different body parts.  I love how interactive the books is, asking the child to point to each of their body parts after each page. Being a breastfeeding lover, I especially loved the page describing nipples with a picture of a breastfeeding mom with "milky nipples". I think I'll want to take this book out again once the new baby comes as that part will make much more sense to E then.

You Can Do It, Sam
You Can Do It, Sam by Amy Hest (via Amazon.ca)

You Can Do It, Sam
I absolutely love this book and now I will be on the look out for more of Amy Hest's books.  We have literally read this book every single night for the last few weeks and I'm actually surprised that I'm not getting sick of it.  I love how it encourages independence and how proud Sam is of himself and Mrs. Bear is of him. When Sam comes running back to the green truck and says, "I did it!", E just lights up with pride every time too. Truly an enjoyable book to read.


Curious George and the Dump Truck
Curious George and the Dump Truck by Margaret and HA Rey (via Amazon.ca)
Curious George and the Dump Truck
Curious George books were some of my favourite growing up. I even had a stuffed monkey that I carried around that I named Curious George.  When I take E to the library I'm a little selfish and have to pick up some of these books for myself too.  Because E is into dump trucks these days, this was a perfect fit. 

What books are your children reading these days? Any recommendations for our next trip to the library? Check back next month for more of E's recommendations!

2 comments:

  1. We wore out a few of those Curious George books when Angus was little, and Eve loved one of the earlier Laura Numeroff books (if you give a moose a muffin, maybe? Something alliterative, anyway). We also had a great one that they both loved about cows trying to learn how to surf. Sometimes Eve and I read a picture book just for nostalgia purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my i just posted about our library books and then found your post! I will look for these next time we head to the library too!

    ReplyDelete