Monday, January 30, 2012

One of those weeks

After a weekend of no naps last weekend, I mentioned to E's day care provider (DCP) that I thought he might be growing out of his naps. Something that I have been denying for some time now. Monday and Tuesday proved this to be true when he refused to go to bed at his regular bed time and didn't seem tired at all after being well rested from a 2 hour nap in the afternoon. Wednesday his DCP and I decided we would try him on an 1 hour nap schedule and that has seemed to work much better, but he is still fighting bed times. I think we need to get rid of that nap all together but I am just trying to hold onto it as long as possible. What on earth am I going to do when baby #2 comes along?! Ah! The thought of it stresses me out a bit.

Hubby worked late nights all week and almost all day all weekend which meant he needed his rest in the mornings and I was on both morning and evening routines all by myself. I nearly lost my mind. Most mornings E was compliant, others he tested every little bit of my patience and sanity. Thank goodness for Hubby's ability to swoop in and be the nice guy and smooth things over. Yes, I just said thank goodness. Honestly, I'm fine with E listening to him right now even if it means that I'm the bad guy in the house. As long as there is some type of answer to the madness, I'll take it.

Since I spent most of my week and weekend lone-parenting I didn't have the energy or the enthusiasm to be out and about. So, to show how much of an amazing Mother I am I ended up losing my patience, raising my voice and realized how frustrated I could get at the silliest of things. Okay, it really wasn't that bad. We made muffins, went sledding, cuddled and all that awesome Mother stuff, but I still feel like a failure. I was only impatient and frustrated with Hubby's work schedule and I took it out on E. Not fair to him at all. I was just not myself. So when I put E to bed last night and told him I was sorry for being a cranky Mommy I went downstairs and had a little cry to myself.

When Hubby got home we declared this our first giant failing-as-parents week and vowed to make things better. Chocolate and copious amounts of junk food were eaten while we sulked. Then we watched Dodgeball, which could possibly be the stupidest movie ever, but it was good for some cheap laughs.

And today I am out and about playing hooky from work. Because not only do I have a million things to do after accomplishing nothing this weekend, but every once and a while Mama needs a day to herself and if that means taking a mental-health day every once and a while - call me crazy!

5 comments:

  1. This post is refreshing for me...it validates my feelings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a break is always important, especially when you're pregnant and parenting. Ds2 gave up his naps this Fall when he was almost 3.5 and it was hard. I'd used those 2 hours to work while ds1 did arts and crafts or played in my office. So now I don't have downtime and I've lost two work hours! But it does mean a 7 pm bed time and getting to spend more time with friends in the afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! You're PREGNANT! It's JANUARY! Give yourself a break - he won't even remember Cranky Mommy (although he might pretend to for some well-placed guilting - don't fall for it!). As for the no-nap - may I introduce you to Quiet Time? :) After Angus stopped napping, when Eve napped in the afternoon, he would have quiet time with a snack and a video or a book or something, where he was strongly encouraged to stay in his little pile of blankets or nest on the couch or whatever. It doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth a try, maybe? Take heart - this whore of a month can't last forever. Right? Right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. I guess I shouldn't beat myself up too much, but ugh, what a week! I think I will use your tips and introduce "quiet" time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't beat yourself up - we ALL have those moments. Taking a mental health break is the best thing you can do :)

    ReplyDelete