Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hungry Caterpillar Craft

One of E’s favourite books is The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. I’ve been reading it to him since he was a tiny little babe in my arms and it’s fascinating to me that he can now sit on my lap and count and name the colours along with me. Also amazing is how turning that last page to see the beautiful butterfly never ever seems to get old.

E and I made some crafts to celebrate his love for this book. A few weeks ago we made some caterpillar’s out of recycled egg cartons, but the excitement was short-lived and they didn't stay in one piece for long.

This week we made a new craft using construction paper, a marker, scissors and some glue.  We cut out all the fruit and numbered them, cut out a leaf, cocoon, the caterpillar himself and as E like's to recite, the "beautiful butterfly".




Now when we read the book together E can count the fruit and show me the colours. He can place the caterpillar inside the cocoon and he can show off and fly his decorated butterfly.  This has been one of our favourite crafts so far!

This family craft was made for the Kids Create! Kids in the Capital January Craft Carnival.

No comments:

Post a Comment