Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Pregnancy Checklist - #1 check!


About 11 months ago I found out I had another nephew* on the way and it prompted me to start thinking about what I would do differently with my second pregnancy. I really appreciated the comments that streamed from that post and have learned so much since then. So here I am, expecting baby #2 and checking my list.

The first thing on my list was:

"1. I will get a Midwife. With little E I had an OB, but with no doubt in my mind I will switch to a Midwife next time. I like the idea of going through the pregnancy with 1 or 2 midwives that work together and having them there with you on the day of birth too. With my OB, it was just whoever was on call from the clinic that day. I had a great OB, but the connection and assistance I needed just wasn't there."

I've had two amazing appointments with my midwife so far. I decided to go with a new midwifery clinic here in Ottawa that was started by five (I think) midwifes who are branching out from a collective to cater to a community in need of a clinic. Since the clinic was still under renovations in the beginning, my first appointment was at home on my couch. Amazing. E even got to chat with our midwife and sit on my lap and ask questions. It was such a blessing to have our family together at the appointment in the comfort of our home. 

My second appointment was at the new clinic which is conveniently close to my workplace. I'll take an appointment on a comfy couch over a crinkly paper covered examining table any day! My midwife is everything I have ever hoped for.  Caring, reassuring, easy to talk to, focused. My calmness with this pregnancy is amazing so far and although part of it is probably because I am no longer venturing into the unknown - having a midwife and knowing that I am not going to have to fight my way to a natural pregnancy and birth is calming.

We've had a dating ultrasound and got to see our little peanut and have heard the heartbeat a couple times. Initial blood work has been completed and these results I will discuss further at another time. All in all, Mommy and Baby are healthy and strong!

I am looking forward to documenting more of my feelings and experiences with this pregnancy, adding more things to my list and checking them all off!

* Since that nephew was born there have been 4 more pregnancies announced in my family. Can you say baby boom? We're taking over the world!

3 comments:

  1. I had midwifery care for all four of my kids, and it is really amazing. It's personal and their philosophy of care was a perfect fit for me. Sounds like it's working out great for you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so great. You, of course, know my feelings about midwives ;) I love your checklist, and I think it's so normal for us all to have regrets about the first time around - we didn't know what we were doing! I definitely have a checklist in my head for next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both my boys were born in Europe where midwifery is the standard care. I had the most enjoyable, relaxing pregnancies compared to friends in Canada/USA under OB care. It was all about listening to my body. All the best with pregnancy #2!

    ReplyDelete