Monday, October 3, 2011

Jumping back into gymnastics

Can I go play now? He asks as we arrive and register. We take off our shoes and he wiggles free from my arms and takes off to watch the children during the previous class, itching to get out on the floor.

We haven't been here for three months because we took the summer off to enjoy more outdoor activities. He has been talking about going back for weeks.

When we are given the go-ahead he runs ragged, not looking back. Balance beams, hoola hoops, bean bags and bouncy balls. Swinging ropes and rings, climbing mats and ladders, mini-trampolines. He heads upstairs and quickly remembers the rules - only one jumper at a time. A few minutes of bouncing and silliness and then a break for another child's turn - I'm surprised with how cooperative he is.

He takes off running across the trampolines and through the crowd of parents and children. He tells me he wants to jump into the blocks. I smile, thinking he will probably stand at the edge and wait for me to lift him in - like he always has. I struggle to keep up and he disappears before my eyes - happily diving right into the pit of foam blocks without hesitation. Where has my timid toddler gone? Amazing - after months of being away that he can jump right back in where he left off...and some.

***

I'm joining Capital Mom today by blogging about a moment from my life based on a theme she has provided. This week’s Monday Moment theme is Jumping.

2 comments:

  1. haha, great post! We are currently doing gymnastics as well. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They grow so fast! And always surprise you :). We need to take S back to gymnastics. It's been a year now, I think, I wonder what she remembers?

    ReplyDelete