Monday, September 26, 2011

Singing a different tune

We don't have a cookie cutter life. We rarely sit around the table for dinner as a family. More often than not family outings consist of just me and E.

It has made me angry, sad and frustrated. I've cried many tears. This is not the life I planned and dreamed of. But this is our life and I must live it to the fullest. The life I was given. I could wallow in self-pity. I could sing "Oh, woe is me".  But otherwise life is good. Pretty great actually.

We love each other and our child. We have the same goals and visions. We share an equal amount of responsibility to our family. We need to make sacrifices and both play our parts in making our goals a reality.

I pass off the questions and ignore the judgements. I'm learning to accept. I'm learning to make changes to the things I can. I'm finally singing a different tune.

***

I'm joining Capital Mom today by blogging about a moment from my life based on a theme she has provided. This week’s Monday Moment theme is Singing.

5 comments:

  1. Does your hubby work long hours? That's so tough - I always say "I'm a single Mom!" from June to September, because my hubby works 16 hour days. I think A. forgets she has a Dad sometimes. It's so hard, but the first threat of frost that comes is a blessing. I know I'll get my husband back for a bit, even if it's only for several months :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. You should never feel as if you have to follow "the script". I get raised eyebrows when I bring the kids to family events sans hubby, I think there may even be mutterings wondering "what is wrong". It's simple: we take turns. We raise our kids together. We don't feel a need to keep up appearances, it's the reality that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a challenge when life happens differently when the way we expected. I don't think we have to accept the reality easily or immediately but good for you for working on it and moving towards acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always imagined myself happily married to the love-of-my-life. Instead, I am living common-law with the father of my 4 children, we aren't in love with each other, and we haven't shared a bed in 4 years (although we've had 2 more children in that time!). And would you believe that I am more happy than I ever imagined possible.

    You don't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get just what you need. Bravo to you for acknowledging where you are and adjusting to your reality. It takes courage to love what is.

    Joy and Freedom to you, and much love to you and yours.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sing that tune loud and strong. :)

    ReplyDelete