Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Recipe: Toddler Approved Avocado Salad Dressing

Suddenly, I have a 2 and almost a 1/2 year old that LOVES salad.  I never thought I would hear a toddler asking me for more salad, please!  He has always picked away at some Caesar style salads I have made (dairy free), but I have finally found the perfect blend that has him clearing a whole plate of salad.  And it's really healthy too!


Toddler Approved Avocado Salad Dressing

1 avocado
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small clove garlic
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh parsley

Add all the ingredients to your blender and voila! you have one very healthy dressing that hopefully your children will enjoy too. 

I serve it pre-mixed with chopped iceberg or romaine lettuce, diced carrots, diced cucumber, diced tomatoes and diced yellow pepper.  This has been E's favourite combination so far and what we had for dinner last night, topped with grilled chicken breast. I didn't realize how proud I would be in watching my child eat and love a salad!

I found it has taken him until now to learn to chew the limp parts of the lettuce leaves properly without choking, so ice berg lettuce was crunchy enough to get him started.  He still prefers the spine of the romaine lettuce because of the crunch factor.  He loves garlic and other strong spices and flavours, so adjust these ingredients to your child's liking. 

I have been using avocado in place of mayo in many recipes now including tuna and chicken salads. I also tried an avocado chocolate pudding that E loved (me not so much, but it wasn't terrible).  Any more creative salad or avocado recipes for children out there?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds yum! I have a 2.5 year old who is crazy about avocado, I'll bet she loves this. She's also a salad monster :)

    Her favourite salad is grape tomatoes, cucumber, feta and olives with white balsamic and olive oil. She'll eat her body weight in that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made avocado choc. pudding and LOVED it, but maybe it was because I dumped in wayyy too much cocoa powder :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! My kids gobble up chocolate avocado pudding. They love it for dipping strawberries and I use it as icing on birthday cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy. I have made this before and my little guy is also 2 loves it. He doesn't even really like avocado! He does like salad like yours, too. Weird huh? He will eat anything with dressing- we make vinegar and oil ones. But he must have tasted vinegar through my breastmilk because I love it and now he does too.

    ReplyDelete