Thursday, August 18, 2011

How do your popsicles mold?

On the farm we made a lot popsicles in the summer. We used a cheap plastic mold and usually made ones out of chocolate milk or Tang orange juice.  There was nothing like a home made popsicle on a hot day.

E is all about popsicles these days.  He asks for them morning, noon and night. But, I'm prepared with a healthy alternative to the convienent store bought, sugar filled ones.

I've actually tried my hand a quite a few fruity combinations so far this summer. Peach and ginger, blueberry and banana, strawberry and lemon, watermelon and lime - the possibilites are endless. And even better - you aren't limited to fruit.  I made cucumber with lemon and mint and have even sneaked some spinach into some.

But I am ashamed to say, I'm still using a cheap plastic mold.  I really need to invest in a silcone set or at least a BPA free.  There are a some really cool ones out there.  Here are a couple I've looked at so far.  
Kinderville Little Bites Popsicle Molds (set of 4)
Source
 
Stainless steel popsicle mold
Source

And although I don't like the waste that is involved with these methods (that I found on Pinterest), I do think they would be a great idea if you need to make a number of popsicles for a party.
 

Source
How do you make your popsicles? What are your favourite healthy combinations?

2 comments:

  1. I have the cheap plastic ones too! Thanks for the suggestions...also, how do you get it so that the juice doesn't settle all at the top and then it's just flavoured water at the bottom? Are there any tricks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't quite mastered that yet, although it helps to use a minimum amount of water.

    ReplyDelete