Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Belonging

Source

Yesterday, I read this post by Crunchy Betty about the "crunchy" tribe and it got me thinking.  I belong to a few tribes. Some that I know of and maybe some that I don't even know yet. When I discover that I am part of these movements and/or tribes it gives me a great sense of belonging.  See sometimes, you don't even realize it.  Sometimes, you are following your passions, your beliefs, your gut and you find out that there are others out there that feel and work the same way.  Knowing that you are part of a group, or flock, or tribe and knowing that you belong somewhere is reassuring.

For me, it's a confidence booster. I don't feel the need to necessarily defend myself for my decisions, I can just point to the fact I'm not the only one. My tribe's got my back.  I have friends who have sheepishly told me some of their parenting beliefs that they normally get criticized for.  I have commended them, which usually catches them off guard.  So you bed-share? Baby wear? Anti-CIO? Baby-lead wean? That is awesome.  P.S. Did you know that you are all part of a tribe?

I started blogging in an effort to connect with like minded women, to share my passions, to create an outlet and what I didn't realize was the immensity of it all. 

I discovered that my passion for natural birth and parenting was shared among so many women and I quickly jumped on the opportunity to join the Natural Parents Network.  Joining in their carnival of natural parenting has been so eye-opening and rewarding. I could spend hours reading posts by other members and I am thirsty for more.  I know I belong here.

Blogging has given me the opportunity to journal memorable moments and milestones of E's life that may have otherwise been lost memories.  I jumped on the opportunity when Capital Mom dedicated her Monday's to shared moments with her readers and fellow bloggers.  And although I can't possibly portray my moments quite as eloquently as she, I am honoured to be in her online presence and join along for the ride.

I discovered other parents in the city that are living their lives to the fullest with their families and children. They are exploring the city, sharing helpful tips and stories of adventures.  These are all things that I love reading and sharing with others. 

By creating a healthy environment for my family physically, emotionally and mindfully, I am part of a movement.  By finding confidence in my decisions, creating happiness and taking control of my life, I am part of a tribe. It feels so good to know that I'm not alone.

1 comment:

  1. I still remember the moment I discovered I was part of a tribe - the attachment parents!! It felt really good to finally know that I wasn't alone, and that I wasn't spoiling my child (like so many people told me; or at least implied) It also felt good to know that my instincts could be put into words as a certain type of parenting philosophy :o) Great to be getting to know all you women online (maybe we'll have to arrange a face-to-face meeting someday!)

    ReplyDelete