Thursday, June 30, 2011

When do you write?

I have entered the incredibly-insane-busy-time at work. I have no time to think during the day and have deadlines creeping up way too quickly. It also happens to be the most frustrating time - dealing with others that don't pull their weight and feeling like I have no support. Days where the pressure sometimes gets to me and I feel like just throwing my hands up and walking out the door. But I don't and I won't, because others are counting on me and I would hate to be that person and not to mention, I like getting my pay cheques.

I have spent the last few nights working once E is in bed, to wake up and do it all over again and exhaustion is hitting me. This night time is usually set aside to catch-up on writing and reading. I don't know how some people do it with really demanding jobs. This only happens to me a few weeks out of the summer and it's all I can handle.

I have a pretty huge deadline today and was up late last night getting ready. This morning I was out of the house at 5:00am to drop Hubby off at the airport for a business and then pleasure trip (Side note: Pleasure? When is it my turn? Bitter? Yes. Rant over), dropped E off at day care and then into work to try my best to meet today's deadline.

It's a good thing I had time to think and write some stuff out on some evenings while I was in Calgary, otherwise my blog would also be suffering from my schedule.

I read an article a while ago (and I wished I had saved it) about writing when you feel most inspired. I am guilty of spitting posts out when I finally get the time and this hasn't been the best outcome for me. I love writing and I do it for myself so that's part of the problem.  I rarely ever take time for myself.  All of my most meaningful posts were written or drafted when I was suddenly inspired on the topic and when I make the time for myself to just run with it.

So, when do I take time for myself?
  • First thing in the morning when my alarm goes off and I have a few minutes to myself before the house starts bopping.
  • Nap time for E on the weekends when I should be napping or cleaning.
  • Once E goes to bed at night and I should be cleaning up the house and doing the dishes.
  • Once Hubby goes to bed and I should be sleeping too.
So to sum it up I write when I know I won't be interrupted and when I should be sleeping, I need to sleep more and my house is a mess 90% of the time.
 
When am I most inspired?
  • My car rides to and from work - which leads to me to make quick notes when I get to my destination to avoid distractions in the car.
  • Early morning and late at night when I am by myself.
  • Airplane or train rides by myself when I have nothing "better" to do than think.
I have a lot going on right now and therefore I think a lot.  It's just finding the time to get it all out that I am struggling with.
 
So, tell me - when are you most inspired to write and when do you actually write?

4 comments:

  1. My inspiration often comes when I'm driving or when I'm in the shower. When do I actually write? Rarely anymore it would seem... I'm always one step behind and trying to catch up. It's hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to find the time for 'us' when there are soooo many other things we 'should' be doing. I love to write first thing in the morning and late at night. I'm exhausted in the morning, but when I wake up and have a few posts at least started... I feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually write after Silas' bed time or during nap time. On the weekends DH and I switch off in terms of entertaining the awake little boy, so when it's my time to relax then I can write if I have a topic. But I also work from home and at work (I'm a college professor and I teach online courses so I read their posts at home at night). Inspiration comes to me randomly throughout the day, and I'll usually leave myself a voice memo on my phone or write it down if I'm able to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I write when I can steal a minute,which explains all the unfinished writing I have... I used to write at nap time, but that is when I work out now, so what's left is when the lils are asleep. It's tough. I'd like to set aside time each day, but life gets in the way!!

    ReplyDelete