Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Toddler Wearing at WestFest

I decided to take in WestFest this year with E and because I knew parking would be hard to come by, I decided to take the bus. I knew E would love it - he hadn't been on a bus since he was 10 months old, so to his memory he had never experienced such an amazing adventure! 

At 10 months old we didn't have a second vehicle and I had enrolled us in a Kindermusik class about 10 minutes away.  It was winter and I didn't want to deal with a stroller on the bus, so I would bundle him up in his snowsuit and strap him in his Baby Bjorn carrier. 

This morning I remembered how convenient it was to wear him and thought - hey! why can't I carry a toddler?  I read a blog post a couple months about toddler wearing and have been thinking about re-introducing it for a while now.  I immediately dug out my Hotslings baby wrap and put the instructional dvd in to see how a toddler is supposed to be worn. I hadn't used the sling since he was probably 8 months old. With a quick refresher we tried it out and I was relieved to read that it can handle up to 30 pounds.  E just weighed in at 28.5 pounds at his Dr's. appointment last week.

I was worried it might be hard to get him in, but it was actually easier since he could follow my directions and help me out a little (put your feet in here, no this way!). And E loved it. He kept saying, "Mommy, walk me!"

Here we are testing out the hip carry. (I wasn't comfortable with the back carry.)

He looks like such a big boy!
 I packed the sling in my back pack for later, along with drinks, snacks (and extra diapers and clothes of course) and we were set to go.  After slathering on our sunscreen, we headed out the door to purchase some bus tickets at the corner store and catch the bus.

We had to wait for a few minutes for the first bus,



and then a few more minutes for our connecting bus,



but E was in heaven the whole time; asking me questions and commenting on the bus' speed and just taking in the sights.

When we arrived at WestFest we walked the street, received a balloon sword made by a clown, waited in a long well-worth-the-wait-line for the bouncy castle, got a sponge-on tattoo, watched the dogs splash around in the dog pond, watching the gymnastics demonstrations, sat on the curb to eat a hamburger, watched balloons float into the air, played on some children's play structures, listened to some great music and then finally packed up to head home for a nap. E was tired by this time so I carried him in the sling on the way to the bus station.

It was a great morning and I'm looking forward to wearing my toddler again. I'm kicking myself for not buying a quality toddler carrier to back carry him - I may just have to invest in one now!

5 comments:

  1. westfest is a great time isn't it? i carried the jb when he was about 2, but i found him too heavy to do for long periods. now i love to give him piggy backs.

    - julie (smothermother)
    google won't let me log on for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun!
    Yes, my google account isn't working here either..I'm trying to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia - check out the Ergo! It is such an awesome carrier, especially for bigger kids. We used it for the longest time. It's great for back carries, adjustable and not "girly" so Jay wore it too. :)

    -Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marcia. I've been looking at the ergo's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I sign in each time I use blogger now (rather than it remembering me) and cleared my cookies. Now I am able to connect with my Google Account again.

    ReplyDelete