Monday, June 20, 2011

Listening

I'm joining Capital Mom today by blogging about a moment from my life based on a theme she has provided. This week’s Monday Moment theme is LISTENING.

For the next five days I will be listening to his sweet voice on the other end of the phone.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning to Calgary for work. I will be away for five whole days. I've never been away from E for that long. The last time was when I left for work for three days in November. Before I left for that trip I cleaned the house, set out clothes, prepared meals and made lists. Not this time.

Hubby is on his own this week, with perhaps some help from Grandma if work calls on him. I tested his listening skills last night while I was rhyming off daily reminders. Things like to make sure an extra set of clothes is packed in E's back pack every day for day care and reminding him of favourite bed time snacks. These are things Hubby rarely is involved with. When I finished blabbing, Hubby asked, "You're going to write all this down, right?".

"Nope, sorry dude. You're on your own. I hope you were listening."

I know they will be just fine without me. Last time I left for a few days, I was stressed. This time, I don't know if I'm just lazy or if I find it thrilling that I am leaving everything up to Hubby to see how it all pans out. One thing is for sure, if Hubby wasn't listening...he is going to have to listen pretty closely to E's wants, needs and demands to get through the week.

I already miss E. I sat him down and gave him a little pep talk tonight. I told him I was going to Calgary and he cried and said he wanted to come to "Cowgary" too. I told him he was going to have so much fun with Daddy and I listed all of the activities that they could do. He asked, "Mommy, come too?"

I can't wait to hear about what they get up to all week. Have fun (and good luck) boys!

5 comments:

  1. ohhhh so sad to leave them, but you'll thoroughly enjoy your 'mommy-time' too I bet :)
    Have a great time in Cowgary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I look foward to hearing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Only a few tears so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you - it`s good to let them figure it out for themselves :) Does it seem like he was listening?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, good for you. I have always done the list, meal plan, reminders... when travelling. I'm gonna have to try this for my next trip!!

    ReplyDelete