Thursday, June 23, 2011

I don't get this couponing fad

Am I the only one that thinks the current extreme couponing fad is incredibly stupid, not to mention a waste of time and money? You know how to save money? Don't buy crap you don't need just because you have a coupon for it!

These couponing people should be putting more time and effort into buying wholesome foods and reusable products to save money in the long run rather than getting their thrills from discounted processed and disposable junk.

I'm not against using coupons and use them when they are available, but funny thing is - there aren't many coupons for the things I buy. I buy real food and don't waste money on crap I don't need. When I walk into my local grocery store I usually skim over the coupon board. Perhaps I may find a different toilet paper brand that I may purchase to take advantage of a coupon or find that the dog food I usually buy is on sale for 2 for 1, but other than that they are completely useless to me.

I haven't seen an episode of the extreme couponing shows everyone is talking about and I don't really have a desire to. However, I do realize that there are people out there that coupon for good reasons; like to stockpile and donate to shelters and food banks.

How hard is it to see through these companies antics?! Yes, a $5 off coupon for a $10 product is a pretty sweet deal, but is it even a product you would buy if you didn't have the coupon?  Have you noticed that most coupons are for products you don't even need?

Perhaps I would be singing a different tune if there were more coupons for heads of broccoli or bags of apples, but for now I'll stick to saving my money a smarter way thank you very much.

5 comments:

  1. Yup, I totally get what you're saying, sister! Show me a coupon for organic whole wheat flour or carrots or something else I actually eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed. 1000%

    although I do get jazzed about coupons for toilet paper, I must admit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the coupon show is like watching hoarders. i watched it once and won't again. it's like a sport for them. and american coupons are crazy. in canada you can get a couple that might be of use, but they are few and far between.

    that being said i do like a good coupon. toilet paper, tooth paste, advil. i won't turn those away. and i do make my grocery list by going through the store fliers. old living poor habits die hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad but true - "High priced junk? Let's advertise with a coupon! High priced good food...well..." Our grocery stores give us coupons based upon what we purchased, so sometimes those are useful (such as saving the ones for staples that we buy once per month). Other than that, most of the stuff I buy doesn't coupon and I'm not going to buy prepackaged crap just to save 50 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get what your saying... but I also think sometimes its kinda cool. I mean they walk out with $3,500 worth of groceries for $150 and donate it all to charities or keep a "store" in their house and sell all that stuff. one girl was a stay at home mom and by extreme couponing made her make more than her husband. sometimes the coupons are so extreme that they actually get money back in the end

    ReplyDelete