Tuesday, June 28, 2011

DIY Sushi

If you love sushi, you'll love how easy it is to make at home.  Hubby has been loving sushi lately and so I decided for Father's Day I would try my hand at making some myself.

DIY Sushi

What you need:
Bamboo rolling mat (I used a cheap bamboo looking place mat that rolls - worked just fine)
Plastic wrap
Sharp knife
Small bowl 
Plate or platter

Ingredients:
Sushi rice (I made mine using sticky rice and rice vinegar with sugar and salt)
Nori (dried toasted seaweed)
Vegetables and Fruits (I used avocado, cucumber, carrots and steamed asparagus)
Meats or Seafood (I used smoked salmon and imitation crab meat)
Tempura sauce or soy sauce



I searched through a number of recipes and instructions online and found this recipe and these instructions on how to roll the sushi to be the best. It sounds complicated, but it was actually quite easy. I made mine all within an hour (I was a bit rushed before dinner), but if you take the time you could make them much more neat looking than mine. My rolls didn't turn out perfectly and I ended up cutting the ends off, and well , they look a little sloppy.



I picked up some Tempura dipping sauce, which was a huge hit, but soy sauce on the side is great too.  Hubby loved them and said they tasted like the real deal. I prefer the vegetarian ones and don't think I'll use the imitation crab meat again. Not that it didn't taste great, but that it wasn't the healthiest option (1. it's imitation and 2. the list of ingredients takes up the back of the package).  The best part was that everything cost me under $20.00 and will last me atleast two more batches. Now that is some affordable sushi!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. YUM! I love love LOVE sushi, and am a bit addicted.
    I started making vegetarian spring rolls, with avocado, lettuce, carrot rolled in rice paper, and fell in love with the ease and cost-effectiveness. I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son loves sushi...I haven't been brave enough to try to make it on my own. Thanks for sharing. :) Following from Not Just a Housewife. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. The most view link will receive a set of fancy rectangle chalkboard labels from my etsy shop. Hope to see you there.

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sushi looks delicious. My son and Husband love it. I make my own rice rolls. They have baby corn, carrots, mango or peaches, peppers, cucumber and vermicelli noodles wrapped in rice paper. They are really delicious and much cheaper than a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete