Tuesday, June 7, 2011

DIY Gallery Wall & More Small Projects

I've been lusting over gallery walls for what seems like ages now. Especially the one that the folks over at Young House Love recently completed.  When we decided to repaint our place in January I knew I wanted to create a gallery of pictures on the large wall in our living room.  Well, it's June and I have finally completed my project (well kinda)!  I'd like to think of this as an ongoing project - something that I will constantly be changing and adding too.  I'd like to eventually add some DIY art pieces to it too. Here it is as we are today:


As you can tell, I need to straighten some pictures out, but for the most part I am happy with the somewhat finished product.  I used 15 mixed-matched frames to start. Some were ones we've had for years and a couple were from consignment stores around the city.  Since they were all different colours, I picked up a can of Rustoleum in Heirloom White - Satin finish and sprayed them all the same colour.  Some frames also had mats in them so I picked up some pretty scrapbook paper at Michael's and mod podged it on.


This total project cost me a whopping $25.00 which included the printing of some of the pictures. Some of the pictures I already had printed and others, like our Fall family ones (that were done by the lovely Claire Ross) were finally printed and proudly displayed.

Below the gallery is a couple more DIY projects I've completed over the last few months.  The cheap console table used to be a honey brown wood finish and was purchased to use as telephone table at Hubby and I's first apartment.  I sprayed it with the same spray paint and I'm very happy with how it turned out. I'm not exactly sure what I want to display on the table yet, but for now it holds my hurricane vase filled with wine corks and a pillar candle (hint: if your candle isn't tall enough, I used an upside down shot glass to prop it up).  I first saw this centrepiece featured on Young House Love and soon after my sister gave me a bag of wine corks she collected while waitressing in a bar. Another frugal project!


So that's my little update on the stolen inspiration "projects" (as Hubby likes to call them) I've been working on around the house. 

What have you been working on?  Do you have a gallery wall in your house?

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Aren't you clever!!! I think you did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete