Friday, June 17, 2011

Barefoot and hormonal

We told ourselves we would enjoy being a newlywed couple for a couple years and wait until we held secure jobs. We would plan it out perfectly.  People told us there was no perfect time to plan for a family, but we wanted to plan it as best as we could.

Three years passed and we decided it was time. Time to finally give in to something that was nagging at me for years. We were ready, right? Of course we were. It was a perfect time.

I kept a journal throughout my pregnancy with E. Nothing fancy, just a notebook that I used to scribble down some notes.  It was such an exciting time - the notebook filled with Doctor appointments and little milestones - full of optimism and happiness. Reading it through two years later makes me smile and tear up at the same time. Nothing could get this young, pregnant woman down!  Until, that is, Nov 24, 2008's entry.

***

We were almost half way there, with our first real ultrasound scheduled for the next day. The day started off great. Instead of having to take the bus to work, Hubby gave me a ride in on his way to an important meeting.

In his crisp shirt and tie, he drove nervously.
It's nothing, I said. You must be getting that promotion. (After all, he was exceeding quotas and his bossed loved him.)
I don't know, he said, it sounded serious. He dropped me off and promised to call when his meeting was out.

I picked the phone up after the first ring. 

How was your meeting? I asked quietly, while sitting in my cubicle.
I just got laid off, he said.
Haha ya right - so did you get the promotion?
No, I'm serious. I got laid off. 
He proceeded to tell me about the disintegration of his department due to the recession.  That the company couldn't afford to keep him and four others on staff.  That his boss had tears in his eyes because he knew he had a pregnant wife at home. 

Hubby was in shock and was driving home to pack up his home office. I decided to take the rest of the day off and join him. Panic set in.

It could be worse, I said. Both trying to reassure him and myself.  You could have lost it right when the baby is born.  This way you have time to find something new before the baby comes.


All the while, I was in shock myself.  What were we going to do? It was horrifying.  We had a baby on the way and our income was just cut in half. We had a nursery to furnish and to top it off, had just spent a bunch of our savings to pay for a trip to Cuba to attend my brother's wedding.

***

We pinched our pennies.  We contemplated cancelling our trip because we could have really used the money, but I knew we would regret it.  We tried to use the trip to relax, but we couldn't.  When we got back, Hubby was in a mad rush again to find a new position. 

Thankfully it all worked out in the end. Hubby found something rather quickly and we managed to scrape by, even if we fell behind a little.

Now my entry on that day really makes me laugh. We couldn't have planned starting our family any better and sure enough a huge curve ball was thrown our way.  It really does go to show that there is no "right" time to start a family or do anything for that matter. 

On November 24, 2008 I wrote: Ultrasound tomorrow! "Hubby" got laid off today.

Horrifying at the time, hilarious today.


This post has been written for Mama Kat's Pretty Much World Famous Writers Workshop. Writing Prompt #5 - Barefoot and hormonal...describe an incident that upset you when you were pregnant, but now looking back makes you laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Oi - that must have been really stressful until 'Hubby' found new work!!
    At least, judging by your journal entry, you were more excited about the Ultrasound! LOL

    ReplyDelete