Sunday, May 15, 2011

Being a couple again

Sitting back and relaxing and JUST BEING a family is awesome even though it can be hard to make time for this with our busy schedules.  Just being a couple is even harder. 

Finding time to be together without E is tough.  Although it is much easier than when E was an infant, it's hard to schedule last minute baby sitting when Hubby never knows when work will call on him. We are fortunate to have my MIL in town that is willing to take E as often as needed. And although it would be easier to leave E with my Mother, I am grateful and count my blessings.  I know parents that don't have any baby sitters to count on and I know and have read other stories of parents with their own struggles in finding couple time.

With Hubby out of the house so often, I try to make the time he is home for quality family time.  I have a hard time trying to balance family time with much needed couple time instead. Family time is so important to me, but couple time is crucial aspect of our family.

In an effort to build on this, Hubby and I joined a co-ed softball team this summer.  How romantic, right? Once a week, we have established this as our "date night".  E will visit and stay over night with his Grandma (he actually sleeps great there - go figure) and we will have the night together to go to our game and do whatever else our little hearts desire. In the past we have really only had Grandma babysit when we needed to be somewhere together, like a party or wedding. This new schedule will allow us to focus on time alone.


This past Friday was our first game and date night and it was awesome.  I think it's been 3 months since the last time we sat down and watched a movie together and just BE a couple.  There were a few options for activities to do that night and I'm glad that we stayed in. The Lord knows we need the alone time together.

While I understand every Friday won't happen, it is nice to have this date marked on the calendar and to try to keep a priority. Some day when we add to our family, this time together will be tougher, but we will try our best to take advantage of it now that E is at such a great age to have sleepovers at Grandma's. 

Time for being a family + time for being a couple = being happy.

3 comments:

  1. This is so very true. T & I joined co-ed floor hockey from Fall-Spring and it was great having that time together, even though we didn't get the entire night (it was a Monday and Nanny couldn't be expected to do a sleepover on a work night) we still got to have that time and talk in the car alone uninterupted. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's soooo true! F & I have a planned 'date night' each week that we try and get out and have dinner or do something together ... the hard part is not *talking* about kids while you're out lol

    Good for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! It's so very important to spend that time together. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete