Saturday, May 7, 2011

At My Mother’s Knee & Now

In spirit of Mother’s Day tomorrow I thought it would be fun to recount all of the wonderful things I learned from my mother that I am so thankful for now that I am a mother myself.


I learned to read and write from my first teacher, my Mom. She always took the time to sit down at the kitchen table to help with homework or school projects or fit in a bed time story. I thank her for instilling a love of reading and writing in me.
She taught me to fold laundry the improper way (we fold our shirts down the middle and we’re proud of it!).
She taught me to sew a button on a shirt.
I learned to clean windows and wash floors and do laundry.
I learned to multi-task.
She taught me to cook and bake and I use many of the same recipes for my family.
I learned to be independent and although this is a quality that makes me a little too stubborn sometimes, it is a skill that I am very grateful for.
I learned to stay organized.
I’ve learned to leave things to the last minute, but to always pull through. Something my Mom is notorious for.
I learned to stay positive and to be grateful.
She taught me to create my own happiness.
I learned to be sensitive and respectful of others feelings.
I've learned that staying home with the kid(s) is one of the hardest jobs out there.
I've learned that it is possible for it to seem like you accomplished nothing in day.
She taught me how to be selfless.
She taught me how to be a supportive wife.
I’ve learned that Mother’s give so much and deserve so much more.


What are some invaluable skills, lessons or qualities (good or bad) you’ve learned from your Mom?

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's Day to you and your Mum. Sounds like you got a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete