Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Pinch. Wake Up.

For the last month I have been in dream land. Dreaming of moving to a beautiful home to finally *start* our life.  

Right now I feel stuck.  Like the walls are closing in.  Like we are outgrowing this tiny little town/terrace home with no place to go.

I’d like to think that I’m a pretty practical person.  I don’t spend money on *stuff* and live within my means.  My small means.

We hold off on purchasing larger toys for little E because, well, we don’t have room for them.  I sometimes wonder if I am depriving him of these larger, more exciting gifts.  But then we think, he can have these when we have a bigger home….some day. Some day he’ll even have his own playroom, we dream.

For his birthday I thought, ah, screw it, and we purchased him an art easel. This item is clearly not a space saver, but I figured it was something practical.  Something that he will use for years and years.  So what if it takes up our whole living room, right?

We have been on the search for a home that we want to stay in for years.  A home that has a lot of space and a basement and a garage and a big back yard. A home that is obviously bigger than our budget.  Dream land. We’ve been racking our brains for the last month trying to find a way to make this work.  Is it practical to do this and then ultimately be house poor? No. I’ve given myself a pinch. I’ve woken up.

Back to being practical.

So we are on the hunt for a small home.  Probably still a town home.  But one with 3 floors rather than our current 2.  And one with a back yard with grass rather than a patio of stones.  One that will probably still be a pain to gather my whole family in and/or a large group of friends in, but it will be our home. Our starter home.  And it will probably be our home for at least a few years.  Until one day when we can save enough to afford the home we dream about it.

It’s time to get real.

4 comments:

  1. A starter home sounds great! Here's hoping that your search goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many people in some form of Home Obsession. You, me, two friends of mine who are selling (townhomes near CHEO, if you're interested). Sasha recently posted on her blog about her moving experience from awhile back too. When you're not in this mode, you don't realize how all-consuming it can be. But it is! Hang in there. It has to end for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! You will be MUCH happier taking it one step at a time, then being house poor. I am always dreaming about my dream home, but I snap back to reality and realize the home we have is just fine and our dream home can wait... for another 10 years if need be.

    I think the biggest stress in life can be about money and the last thing you want to do is stress yourself by spending a lot on such a MAJOR purchase - your new starter home will be bigger than what you are currently in, and little E will LOVE it as long as you guys are there with him.

    Good luck with the search... you'll find a great home, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete