Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Twinkle, Twinkle little E

We are sleeping in this house again (most of the time) and it is awesome. 

It was about a month ago that I whined about our lack of sleep due to my laziness with bed time routines.  It only took about a week to get little E back on schedule.  I realized a few things; a) I was trying to do too much with him before bed which cut into his bed time routine and therefore, b) I was rushing through our most precious time together - bed time stories.

Reading books has always been our favourite quiet time activity and since I've made of point of it from the beginning, he is familiar with this calming down period.  Rushing through the pages of the book is not healthy, let alone calming.

We have returned back to studying each page and taking our time, but our reading line-up has changed.  He pushes away his bed time board books and reaches for longer "big boy" stories.  We have stocked up on a variety of library books after a period of just picking up a few when I could.  Although, repetition is good, there is only so many times I can read Franklin Goes To School without going nutty.

Speaking of Franklin.  He has become quite the key character in our house these days.  I picked up a few of the series at the library and little E was in love instantly.  Every single song we sing must include Franklin now.  Twinkle, twinkle little Franklin on the bus goes up and down, all through the town and Old MacDonald had a Franklin, didn't ya know?

Along with re-establishing our healthy bed time routine we made a few more changes.  I switched around little E's furniture so when laying down in his crib the door is not visible.  This helped since he couldn't see me leave the room.  I also picked up a package of those glow in the dark stars and stuck them on little E's ceiling which he thinks is pretty cool.  Listening to him sing Twinkle, Twinkle once I close the door is the probably most adorable thing ever.  And last but not least we threw in a bunch of his favourite stuffed animals and more "blankies" that he seems to be more attached to lately.  Thank you, Max and Teddy, for taking the brunt of the elbows and kicks these days.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the sleep is getting better. Things are picking up on this end in that regard as well. Our baby E is napping again and seems to enjoy spending most of the night in his own bed (better than the two hours max. we were getting before...). Progress!

    ReplyDelete