Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Me, Aself and Mine

I'm sure my mother grumbled under her breath that she wished I would have a child like myself some day.  Stubborn and maybe a little too independent for my own good.  Well, lookie lookie here.

We are a little less than a month away from little E's 2nd birthday and I am getting a real taste of his terrible two's lately. 

The last two months, words have been flying out of his mouth.  Most of these words are of power and control, independence and stubbornness.

He wants control the moment he wakes up besides calling for me to come get him out of bed. 

I sleeping he says when I ask him if he's ready to go to day care.

Aself! he says when he wants to do something on his own.

He is definitely my son. 

Lately, he is using all of my best tricks against me.  When he whines about wanting to do something, I tell him we will do my requested task FIRST and then he can do what he wants.  So what do I get now when I ask him of something?

I stand here FIRST.
I play hockey FIRST.
I sit here FIRST.
I sleeping FIRST (as he lays down on the floor and pretends to sleep).

A taste of my own medicine I guess. 

Or when I ask him to WAIT until I am done talking or done making dinner or done doing whatever I am doing at the time of this toddler's neediness...

Last night we went to the library in what turned out to be a trip from h. e. double hockey sticks.

WAIT! he yells when I try to steer him in a different direction and he drops to the floor rolling.
WAIT! he yells when he tries to escape the children's section and wiggles out of my arms.
WAIT! he yells when I tell him it's time to go home and we will see the waterfall next visit.

And all the way to the car in the parking lot...

WATERFALL! WATERFALL! WATERFAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL!

Nothing I did could control this little wildebeast last night.  I am usually the queen of distractions, but man, nothing was getting by this kid! I hope it was just a poorly timed library visit or something he ate. It makes me a little hesitant to go out in public on my own again, though! Yikes, the terrible two's are freaking me out!


I do it.
I hold it.
I keep it.
I bring it.
My turn.
Mine.

Yep, he is all mine.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I know the feeling! Miss J is my payback... times like 10 I think ;)

    ReplyDelete