Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cut out to be me

I went to the mall and got a long overdue hair colour and cut yesterday.  When I say over due, I'm talking over 6 months.  It's bad when your regular stylist forgets you, right?  I'm loving the cut and once again I am wondering why I don't do this more often.  I stand taller. I smile more.  I feel so much more confident.  I am rocking this mom bob. 

While I was waiting for the colour to settle I was playing around on my phone, catching up on some blogs.  And then she walked in.  She was confident and carefree.  She spoke loud enough that everyone in the salon could hear her.  She just thought she would stop in, ya know?  See if she could fit in a quick cut and blow-out?

I envied her as soon as she parked her stroller beside me and sat down.  Her son, looked to be about 5 months, was happily sitting in his stroller, chewing on a toy.  She chatted about her hair and her vision with her stylist.  She talked about how her hair was so different now in texture and shine and the stylist confirmed that it was probably because she was nursing and the hormones after having a child.

I tried to pretend I wasn't listening, but I was just so intrigued.  No shit.  This women just walked into a hair salon and is going to attempt to get her hair done and her infant son is going to co-operate? I envy this lady.  Damn, she is ballsy.  There is no way I would even think about this.  I can't wait to see how this pans out.

Then, as I am staring at my phone, I came across this very timely blog post titled, "Mrs. Judgey McJudgerson at the Mall".  What a co-wink-e-dink!

Hmm, did I just judge her? She seemed like a typical trophy wife/mom when she first walked in.  She was just stopping in to get a blow-out, she said.  Really, who says that unless you have alot of time and money on your hands?

Yep, I judged her. I am not proud of myself.  I hope she didn't see my judgey eyes. This woman deserves a blow-out.  Good for her.  I don't know her story.  Why, oh why the judging?

Honestly, the more she talked, the more I envied her. I told my stylist when she went to the back that I never would have thought to bring my son to the salon.  Not because he wouldn't cooperate, but because it would be awkward and I would feel like I was burden on the stylists.  I would feel judged. That is why it took me over 6 months to get back there.  No time and no way in my mind.

What if he started crying?
She picked her son up and held him in her arms.  He loved looking at himself in the mirror. 

What if he got restless?
She handed him off to another stylist on a break.

I wanted to say something.  Like, good for you! Way to go Mama! Damn, she was good. I just sat back and watched her work her magic.

But, then I was over-consumed with worry. 
Who is holding him now? Where did he go? Why would those ladies take her son out of her sight? Why doesn't she care as much as I do right now?

Seriously, I have a problem.

My stylist said that it depended on the baby. I agreed, but looking back now I think I was wrong.

Some women just aren't cut out to be that kind of Mom. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not "that kind of Mom" either. But I'm good at other things. I'm not sure what they are yet, but I MUST be good at SOMETHING!!! :)

    I judge. Probably not going to stop judging anytime soon. But I don't say out loud what I'm thinking. That counts as a compromise, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete