Monday, February 7, 2011

Dinner Diaries & Weekend Baking

Along with a big honkin' salad each night, this is what will be served at our house this week:

Monday - Garlic and rosemary chicken, brown rice, cauliflower
Tuesday - Tex mex shepherd's pie with corn and beans
Wednesday - Pork chops, peas and carrots, sweet potatoes
Thursday - Tuna salad and tuna pasta salad for little E with this really cute pasta I picked up this weekend
Friday - Chicken, broccoli and cauliflower casserole

I am determined to get back on track this week with eating habits and sleep routines and fitness. This weekend was awesome for sleep and last night little E slept for 11 hours straight without a peep (knock on wood)!

I don't care too much for football, so I skipped out on watching the Superbowl yesterday and got a lot of baking and food preparations done for the week. I love spending my Sundays preparing for the week - Monday morning isn't such a struggle. Saturday, I made a Zucchini and Carrot Loaf and yesterday I made some Cranberry Quinoa Peanut Butter Power Bars, adding in some sunflower seeds and slivered almonds for more crunch.  I also made some Quinoa and Broccoli Salad to pack for my lunches. Mmm quinoa.

I will be making some Quinoa Mini-Muffins later in the week to prepare for visiting family this weekend.  I frequently use this Quinoa Muffins recipe from Martha Stewart and switch up the ingredients. This time I will use dried cranberries instead of raisins.  I have been making mini-muffins a lot lately because they are a great snack for little E. I usually stick to an oatmeal muffin or banana bread recipe base and add in more fruit and quinoa. Quinoa is so easy to incorporate into anything...just throw some in anything you are making and you have an added source of protein and more. I use quinoa often in soups; when making homemade chicken noodle soup I often substitute quinoa for the noodles. An even better way to use quinoa in recipes is to replace the flour with quinoa flour. Little E's day care provider makes tons of muffins and cookies using quinoa flour, but I'm not quite there yet.

Last Saturday, I made a batch of Sweet Potato Rolls. Have you ever had a fresh sweet potato roll? I could eat these all day! Little E's day care providers makes these at least once weekly if not more and they are a huge it at her day care. The kids all call them "bunsies" and come running for them. I have tried a couple different recipes and finally had to cave and ask her because mine never turned out the way hers did. Turns out she was using a recipe from an old Canadian Living magazine and I was able to dig it up on the web. Try this recipe to make the best Sweet Potato Rolls you have ever had!!! It isn't the quickest recipe because of all the rising and kneading and rolling and cutting required, but you will not be disappointed. I will be making another batch of these this weekend for the family.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh checking out the quinoa muffins recipe now! I made a quinoa casserole in the crock pot last week and it was quite yummy (usually I eat quinoa cold so this was a nice change). Excited to try the muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never cooked with quinoa, but look at all the great things that you can do with it - who knew?! (other than you, of course :)

    I am SO impressed with you productivity this weekend! Nice work on all the baking and the prep. One day, I hope to be that organized again.

    ReplyDelete