We have had beautiful canal weather the last few weeks and so we've been trying to go for a skate at least once a week. I love the fresh air and the exercise (feel the burn on those quads!) and little E can't get enough of his skates. If it was up to him, we be out on the canal every morning. We are always greeted at the crack of dawn with questions of "canal? skating?".
There are so many reasons why the canal makes me smile...here are just a few of the highlights:
- Skating behind obvious first dates with silly giggles and awkward pauses and styled hair avoiding hat head.
- Cocky skaters that whiz by you and then hit a divot and completely wipe out.
- Little skaters falling down and getting right back up again and again.
- Bundled up babies fast asleep in a bumpy sleigh ride.
- Elderly couples holding hands and skating in sync.
- Beavertails and hot chocolate.
- Holding on to the side of the stroller so Hubby can pull me too when I start feeling the burn and need a little break.
- Seeing little E's face light up when we put his skates on and as he kicks his feet around thinking he is skating.
My goal is to actually skate the full 7.8 km and back this year. We have always skated from Dow's Lake and turned around shortly after Bank Street.
What is your favourite part of the canal? Have you skated the full length yet?