Friday, January 28, 2011

Broccoli and Quinoa Salad

I have to share this amazing recipe that a friend shared with me. I made it for dinner last night and it was delish!

Did you know that quinoa is considered a super food? It's full of protein and fibre and has all the essential amino acids. It is perfect for those on gluten free or vegetarian diets. I cook with it all of the time and I'm always finding ways to throw it into baked goods like muffins and cookies. Little E's day care provider let me borrow her book, Quinoa 365, last year and I have been hooked ever since.

Broccoli and Quinoa Salad

1/2 cup of quinoa, rinsed
2 cups chopped broccoli
1/3 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1/4 unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
1/4 light mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
1 tablespoon of lemon zest
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon of liquid honey
pinch salt
pinch of black pepper

In a saucepan, bring quinoa and 11/3 cups water to boil. reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed. Transfer to large bowl and let cool. Add broccoli, cranberries and sunflower seeds to the quinoa. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Pour over quinoa mixture and toss to coat.

I made a few adjustments to make it dairy free for little E (ie. no yogurt and Hellman's Olive Oil Mayo), but it was still a hit. I will be adding this to my weekly lunch plans.

Any other great quinoa salad recipes out there?

6 comments:

  1. i'm the only one who seems to like the stuff in my house. i love it. i'd be really interested in how you put it into miffins and cookies though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, can you share a muffin/cookie recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I third the request for muffin/cookie recipe.

    I'm going to try this salad this week cause it looks delicious to me. I think I may be the only one to eat it though. I have tried to sneak quinoa in to rice dishes and my son asked me to make the same dish again, but next time "please don't put in the little circles".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm! Sounds delicious. I heart quinoa for it's versatility. Have you tried it as a hot breakfast cereal? Yummers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummm sounds so good! I don't spend enough time cooking!
    Thanks for the follow on twitter:) Following you both there and here on your blog! Great to meet another Canadian Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I posted some more quinoa recipes today!

    Mel, how do you prepare your quinoa for breakfast? I've added it to oatmeal , but never on it's own.

    ReplyDelete