Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What you see isn't what you get

My Mom saved almost everything in the chance she could use it again. With a large family she learned to be very frugal. Clothes and toys were boxed up and passed down the line of children. Gift bags and boxes were reused again and again for birthdays, showers and especially Christmas.

In my large family, we do a Secret Santa draw and boxes are a key element, especially if you want to throw a curious family member off by the gift size and shape. Chances were growing up that I could get a barbie doll packaged in a box originally for men's work boots or a brother would get tools boxed in a fancy ladies perfume box. We learned at a young age not to judge a book by its cover - you've got to dig deeper! It especially makes for a good laugh when new members join the family. The look of confusion on their face is priceless when they tear the wrapping paper off the box. And as they are trying to muster up a fake thank you we tell them "its the family way", and to keep digging. What you see isn't what you get.

I have shoe and toy boxes sitting in my closet to wrap this years gifts in. I guess I've kind of inherited this frugal gift (pardon the pun) from my Mom. Besides, I'm saving a few bucks here and there because most stores are charging for boxes just like they do for bags these days. And I like to think that I am being environmental friendly.

Will you be reducing waste and/or finding ways to go green this Christmas? If you are considering reusing your boxes this year, I can assure you that it makes for a great conversation piece!

1 comment:

  1. i keep every box and gift bag. every tin and jar and every ribbon that looks resuable. i hate to see the waste, both environmentally and economically.

    ReplyDelete