Friday, December 31, 2010

Hopping into the New Year

In my de-cluttering phase this week I came across an old page of a notebook where Hubby and I wrote down our 2010 New Years Resolutions. I distinctly remember writing out our lists together on the couch last year in hopes that we would more likely achieve them. Looking at it now, we were both surprised with how well we did, although there are a few things that we still need to work on. This gives me hope that I can take on bigger and better things for 2011.

2011 marks the Year of the Rabbit (or Hare). I'm excited about what I have read about the year of the rabbit so far. A rabbit is a lucky sign. According to Chinese traditions, the rabbit brings a year in which you can catch your breath and calm your nerves. We are urged to focus on home, family, security, diplomacy, and relationships with women and children. A goal to set is to create a safe and peaceful lifestyle.

I have a long list of resolutions and a lot of these are in line with these traditions. Here are some of the highlights (in no particular order).

  • Continue going green. This includes switching over all plastic containers and Tupperware in the kitchen to glass and become plastic free in the kitchen - something I've been planning to do for some time now. I also plan to swap household cleaners and soaps to Eco-friendly ones. I'm currently using Nature Clean all purpose lotion for most cleaning around the house including hand washing the dishes.

  • Schedule my gym workouts during my lunch breaks again. I was more active when I was 9 months pregnant than I am now. I've been finding excuses not to go to the gym and it's really sad. Plus, paying for a gym membership and not using it is pretty silly, isn't it? I used to have a membership to the gym that was inside my work building...but switched to the big chain while on maternity leave. Now, I will have to walk or drive to the gym near my work...but it will be worth it.

  • Dive into my dream to start my own business. I have my ideas written down and scattered around the house, but I need to gather my thoughts and get started on some more in-depth research and a business plan. I am so excited for this and my meetings scheduled in the new year with my similar minded blogging friend :)

  • Commit to even healthier eating as a family. This will include assisting Hubby in getting to the bottom of his stomach issues through a couple of elimination diet trials (including wheat and dairy). I am also researching local organic farmers to purchase our meats from (let me know if you have any recommendations) and I will be taking a gradual approach to going organic especially with fresh produce. I have already been incorporating vegetarian meals at least once weekly and we already eat naturally due to little E's food allergies.

  • Commit to volunteering for one organization I am passionate about, long-term. I've already put a few calls out :)

  • Keep up with my list short term and long term goals. I started a 101 things to do in 1001 days list last October and just recently reviewed it. I need to complete my list - because I originally only came up with 62 items. A year has gone by and I've checked 16 items off the list. Not bad - but I need to pick it up a notch. My list is broken down into 5 different categories: Recreation and Pleasure, Travel, Financial, Career and Education, Public Service and Community, and Attitude. Some examples of items under these categories are taking little E to the Toronto Zoo, visiting my sister out west, building our savings to purchase our first home, entrepreneurship, and volunteering.

  • Along with these there are many little personal things I don't want to bore you with, like to stop nagging Hubby and continue to learn not to stress over the little things.
I'm excited for 2011. I have already made an effort to get my resolutions rolling, but they will obviously be gradually implemented throughout the year. Slow and steady wins the race - so I will be more tortoise than hare in this case!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Your list is EXHAUSTING! And it makes mine look pathetic. :) Good luck, and I can't wait to hear how you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exhausting? Nah! Passionate.
    Wait do you mean the non-nagging? I know...it's exhausting holding back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome list. i'm always too scared to do any sort of goal or resolution list in the new year because looking back and not doing any of them would be too depressing. maybe i need to make them more realistic and doable. like floss every day.

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Julie. I can't function without lists :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring, I will attempt to make a list in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to see yours Claire!

    ReplyDelete