Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Happy Holidays

We had a great time with family and friends this week and it's hard to believe it's all over now. A lot has happened and these holidays have seemed to zoom by.

Boxing Day morning we always head back to our old hometown for a hockey tournament that Hubby plays in every year. It always becomes a Christmas party re-union for all our friends from high school and it's nice catching up with everyone. We were especially celebrating our best friends recent engagement that night and looking forward to their nuptials within the next year - potentially in Las Vegas! I now have bridal showers and bachelorette parties and everything else that comes along with being honoured as a Matron of Honour on my mind!

Since we got back late Monday afternoon I've been sitting on the couch unwinding. You may have noticed that I didn't post a Dinner Diary for this week...I'm taking advantage of my last week of holidays and just relaxing and flying by the seat of my pants (and my pants are getting tight lately - damn holidays). We've treated ourselves out to dinner and the rest of the week we will be eating a smorgasbord of leftovers and odds and ends.

I am so happy to be off work for a couple weeks. I needed the break really badly. I was starting to feel really unmotivated and was slacking big time even though I was extremely busy. I needed a breather and I'm trying to do as much breathing as possible during this holiday break.

But, I'm not usually one to sit around and waste precious time. There is so much I need to do and I can only sit on the couch and watch so many The Sing Off marathon episodes (which I just discovered - the amazing talent gives be goosebumps - and I'm not talking about Nick Lachey's). So, today I made a list of things that I have procrastinated on. Organizing our bills and paperwork files, de-cluttering and plain ol' chucking stuff and donating clothing and household goods are some that I will be checking off the list before heading back to work next Tuesday.

I put all the Christmas decorations away today and like every year, I have the itch to reorganize the living room and dining room area once I see the empty space where the tree once was. Who am I kidding, I get this itch every couple of months. This comes at a perfect time, because for the last couple months I have been planning a huge redecorating project. I have got a lot of the items together, but first we need to paint. When we moved into this place three years ago, it was freshly painted - beige. I didn't have the energy after we moved to paint. I'm going insane living in a plain beige house. I need a little colour in my life! Not that we are getting crazy or anything with our planned browns and greys. Hubby has a friend with a painting side business and so we've contracted him for the job. This is a huge project I'm just not interested in doing myself like I've always done in the past. Hopefully we can get the paint on the walls within the next couple of weeks and I can get started with my decorating over haul.

I have big ideas on a small budget. A lot of my decor have been DIY projects including treasures I have found at thrift shops and consignments stores and some items are from my family's farm. I've been drooling over items on Etsy and have fallen in love with rustic/shabby chic/vintage art and decor and I'm trying to bring a little of this into my kitchen and dining room. Our bathroom linens and accessories were wedding gifts five years ago and are no longer my favourite colours or styles. Our living room will be a gradual project with Hubby's dreams of a flat screen TV, which will also require a new tv stand. For now, I am updating picture frames with more recent family photos and wall decor.

Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you had a lovely holiday...and super jealous that Vegas is in your future! Good for you for having all sorts of plans for the near (and more distant) future. I sat down on the 26th and I feel like I haven't moved since!

    Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I missed the dinner plans. Seriously, I enjoy these! :)

    ReplyDelete