Monday, December 6, 2010

Dinner Diaries - Week of Dec 6

Oh, how I love Rainbow Foods! I found four new products yesterday and I'm so excited to share my findings! Is it sad that I get so excited over a trip to the health food store?
  1. Soy Free Earth Balance buttery flavour spread. It's dairy free and soy free! I can actually bake with "butter" again instead of using recipes that call for oil. And little E doesn't have to eat dry toast!
  2. Daiya Chedder Style Shreds. Dairy, lactose, casein, gluten and soy free! Oh, the possibilities from now on!
  3. Pacific Foods Organic Almond Vanilla flavoured milk. Soy free! Thanks to a fellow blogger for suggesting this brand. Finally we can switch back to a much tastier milk than the rice milk. All of the other almond milks had soy lecithin in them.
  4. Organ Supergrains Multigrain O's with Quinoa cereal. Gluten, wheat, dairy, egg, yeast, soy, and nut free! A much healthier substitute for Cheerios.
As soon as we got home I slapped some buttery spread on some bread and threw some cheddar style shreds in the middle and made little E his FIRST EVER grilled cheese sandwich! He gobbled it up. I made one for myself too and I could definitely taste the difference, but all in all, not that bad.

So, with that, this week calls for some recipes with cheese:

Monday - BBQ steak and greek pasta salad
Tuesday - Tex Mex Shepherd's Pie (potatoes, ground beef, peas and carrots)
Wednesday - Chicken broccoli casserole - Hubby's favourite
Thursday - Homemade whole wheat pizza
Friday - Tuna Casserole (tuna, brown rice and creamed corn) - a childhood favourite


I also plan to do all kinds of baking this week with my buttery spread - turns out shortbread cookies won't be that hard to make after all.

3 comments:

  1. You need to start a new tab of all your recipes :) I have mastered "old style" cooking this year. I can make anything my mom made as I was a child (mind you it doesnt taste nearly as good without moms touch) But I would love to use organic products. Buying beef at the grocery store made me cringe so we started buying organic. (Glenburnie grocery sells organic 1 farm ground beef). It can be hard and sometimes expensive to make healthy choices. I still haven't found a source for buying chicken...still eating store bought steroid pumped chicken LOL. But your recipes sound delicious, would love to give them a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn. I might just do that :) I would love to get some of your old style receipes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous dish. This looks hearty, spicy and delicious.I hope you are having a great day.

    ReplyDelete