Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Opposites Attract?

I was attracted to Hubby because of everything he was, that I wasn’t or that I wanted to be. We met in high school through mutual friends. I was reluctant to give us a try – we were so different.

He was confident and didn’t care about what people thought of him. I was insecure and hated when the attention was on me. He was an only child living in the city. I was 1 of 11 children (yes, I’ll get to that at a later date) living on a farm. He surrounded himself with a lot of friends. I held only a few friends close. He had no problem expressing his emotions. I hid my feelings. I think he would probably say that he was attracted to many of my opposite traits as well (at least I hope so!).

We started dating in our last years of high school and married after college. We were young. I think marrying young worked for us. We’ve grown together. We’ve toughed it out through some hard times. We’ve had our ups and downs. And all of this has made us stronger.

We are five years married and going strong – but our opposites aren’t so cute anymore. I’m sure he would have a lot to say about my not-so-cute-anymore traits (i.e stubbornness). For me, dealing with Hubby’s “only child syndrome” has been the toughest to date. Although, the majority of the time he does have his family in mind – working a second job to bring home extra bacon. This makes for a busy household that is constantly rushing around (see yesterday’s post). I, on the other hand, am very independent and learned to play on my own and keep myself entertained. Don’t get me wrong, I love getting out of the house on occasion, but I love quiet time at home more. When we were dating it was so fun and exciting living in the fast lane. Married and with a child – not so much. There is no changing him – and I’m not trying to nor do I think it is healthy to try and change someone.

I need to remind myself that one day I used to love this about him and maybe if I embrace his “need for speed” a little more, he will embrace my “stop and smell the roses” attitude a little more.

What do you think? After a while, does the "opposites attract" novelty rub off?


2 comments:

  1. Umm Yes! I would say that it can rub off, my husband and I are opposites too in alot of ways. But luckily you also have alot that keeps you in common, your years together so far, your wonderful son and your future together. It all works out; it is just harder than we expect. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete