Thursday, November 25, 2010

25 Days of Christmas

Andrea over at a peek inside the fishbowl created and shared an awesome tradition called 25 Days of Christmas and I’m so excited to start this tradition with my family.

Instead of buying a chocolate Christmas advent calendar this year (which would be silly because little E wouldn’t be able to eat the chocolate anyway and thank god because who knows what is in that stuff) I will be making our own version. I picked up some Christmas scrapbook paper at Michaels and will also use some old Christmas cards that I've kept over the years for crafts just like this. Instead of making envelopes to open each day, I’ve decided to use clothes pins to attach the cards (numbered 1-25) across the line to flip over and view our activity for the day. I think we'll hang our banner on our dining room wall.

Some of our activities include making a gingerbread house, making Christmas ornaments, drinking hot chocolate and baking cookies, watching a Christmas movie, writing little E’s letter to Santa, and driving around to see Christmas lights throughout the city. I’m going to use Andrea’s advice and keep a master list of the tasks and plan them out every few days. This is the smartest plan of action for our busy family.

This is just the tradition we needed. Not only will we be creating some fun memories, it will keep us organized during this hectic month – which overall I have been trying to improve. And I just might trick Hubby into loving Christmas again. I’ve told him the plan and he’s all in, but I think I heard him say “bah humbug” under his breath. He’s not a huge Christmas fan but I will show him how fun it is now with our little family and our OWN traditions.

I can’t wait to get started on Dec 1st! Will you be participating in the 25 Days of Christmas?

6 comments:

  1. sounds like your hubby and my hubby are cut from the same cloth.

    we're not doing the 25 days per say, but i am tyring to get a bunch of ideas to do through the month as well. we actually have already kicked it off with the santa workshop at orleans and the santa parade.

    have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have decided to do the 25 Day of Christmas this year, but I'm not crafty. And I don't have my envelopes made. And I only have about 20 ideas. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried last year and my then 3 yo didn't care at all. Maybe I'll try next year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm really doing this for Hubby and I, but the little one will have fun too. He is only 19 months so doesn't understand yet. I have more ideas than days in December but that's just me being overly excited. Santa's Workshop in Orleans? Please tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia, I love this idea! I may have to find a way to incorporate something similar into our family! Thanks for such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ash, I can't take any credit for this great idea - but I'm happy that you will join in the fun!

    ReplyDelete