Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Poo Poo

I could be jumping the gun here, but I think little E is ready to start potty training. I've been reading up on the basic readiness signals and can answer yes to all of them.

I purchased a potty on sale about two months ago and I set it up in the bathroom. Little E loves to play and sit down on it, especially when his Daddy is in the bathroom with him. I asked him one-time a couple weeks ago when Hubby went to the bathroom, "Where did Daddy go? " and he answered while tilting his head, "Daddy poo poo?" He caught me so off guard, putting these two words together, that I burst into laughter. Since he got such a great reaction from me, he continued to say it for days.

I've been noticing that he will stop in his tracks and grab his diaper when he goes pee. The other night when walking home from the park he stop and grimaced and as I was about to ask him if he had to go to the bathroom he looked up at me and said "poo poo". So, I think that means he's ready.

I mentioned these signals to his daycare provided last night and she said she's also been noticing his interest in the 'big boys' going to the bathroom. However, she said most boys that she's had in her daycare haven't been trained until 2 or 2 1/2. Little E is 18 months.

I could be really naive in thinking that if I jump on this now it would be easier to train him than when he is a bit older. I think I'm going to start making an effort in training him soon - as soon as I'm done researching everything to do with potty training. I'm an information junkie like that.

It's worth a try - I guess we'll soon find out. I like a good challenge :)

2 comments:

  1. If he seems ready, go for it! Miss Bea started giving us signs at 18 months too, but my first reaction was "oh no! I don't have time to do this right now!" - the one we now know as Baby Em was due in two months, and I was tired already! She continued to be interested though, she would make the sign for diaper (so we taught her 'toilet'), so we started just putting her on when she asked. Sometimes she asks, sometimes she doesn't. We've now got her in Pull-Ups (which she's terribly proud of), and have just started getting her to 'try' at key times (before bed, getting up, before going out). But mostly we're just letting it happen. It may take longer (or not, who knows?), but it's been low stress - no bribes or cajoling required (they tried to give her stickers at daycare - she turns them down!). I think that might be an advantage to what seems to be an early start - we're not in any rush.

    Good luck with your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the encouragement Sasha!

    ReplyDelete